BRAINMETAL DESIGN | FREELANCE
Aug 2006 – present | TORONTO
Specializing in art direction, design and production of complete branding packages that successfully maximize exposure to target markets, various publications, packaging and hard goods. Clients include: CEO.CA, BelAir Capital Ventures, InstarAGF, TD Bank, EQAO, Oxford Properties, BMO, Bhang Cannabis, LA Kush, Kairos Pharma, EnerDynamic EHT, Humber College, University of Toronto and Marley Coffee.
KINGSDALE ADVISORS | CREATIVE DIRECTOR
July 2017 – Feb 2020 | TORONTO
Developed rebranding package for financial services firm specializing in proxy fights and mergers. Included marketing and circulation collateral, annual report, website and social media design in addition launching a creative division which included print and digital projects for hospitality, CPG and other financial services firms.
CENTRAL 1 CREDIT UNION | ART DIRECTOR - REBRANDING
Mar 2008 – May 2009 | VANCOUVER
Developed post-merger rebranding package for national credit union, including creation of brand standards, design and production of website and marketing collateral, and redesign of bimonthly trade magazine.
SMARTDESIGN GROUP | LEAD DESIGNER - REBRANDING
Apr 2007 – Mar 2008 | VANCOUVER
Developed rebranding package for interior design firm, including redesign and production of brand standards, proposal materials and templates for use in marketing to international retail clients.
FREELANCE CONTRACTS | SENIOR DESIGNER
Vancouver Lifestyles Magazine
Sept 2006 – Jan 2007 | VANCOUVER
Responsible for art direction, design and production for monthly publication including selection of all visual contributors and liaison with the printer.
Dec 2005 – July 2006 | VANCOUVER
Responsible for design and execution of a variety of projects including branding, corporate collateral and packaging design.
Oct 2005 – Nov 2005 | VANCOUVER
Design and production for bimonthly trade publications specific to travel and the environment.
Sept 2005 – Oct 2005 | VANCOUVER
Cover ‘leave’ of Art Director. Manage, design and communicate with existing client work.
NUVO MAGAZINE | ART DIRECTOR / GRAPHIC DESIGNER
Oct 2001 – Jun 2005 / September 2000– October 2001 | VANCOUVER
Responsible for design and production of magazine issues, including selection and direction of photographers and illustrators, and press check approvals. Designed and produced marketing and circulation collateral, and advertising for luxury brand clients. Undertook update redesign of overall magazine look and feel.
GRAPHIC DESIGN PROGRAM
Sept 2012 – Dec 2012 | TORONTO
Developed and instructed ‘Editorial Design ’ module.
ADVERTISING & DESIGN CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
Jan 2003 – Apr 2006 | VANCOUVER
Developed and instructed ‘Magazine Features & Covers’ module, including mini-internship assignments.
awards + achievements
• National Magazine Awards - B2B, Judge — 2023
• Award of Excellence Black Designers of Canada — 2022
• National Magazine Awards - B2B, Judge — 2022
• Habitat For Humanity, Global Village Build - El Salvador — 2019
• Agency Wars, Contender — 2019
• Fight To End Cancer, Contender — 2017
• Canadian Magazine Cover Awards, Judge — 2016
• National Magazine Awards, Judge — 2015, 2016
• Alberta Magazine Awards, Judge — 2016
• National Advertising Benevolent Society (NABS),
Mt. Kilimanjaro Climb Team — 2016
• Agency Wars, Main Event Contender — 2015
• Kenneth R. Wilson Editorial Awards, Judge — 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
• Western Magazine Foundation, Best Trade Magazine Design — 2009
• CAPIC (Canadian Association of Professional Image Creators
Critique Panel, West Coast Portfolio Review — 2009, 2010
• MagsU Conference, Seminar Presenter — 2005
• FOLIO Awards, Bronze Medal — 2004
• Western Magazine Foundation, Finalist Best Art Direction, Cover — 2004
• Western Magazine Foundation, Finalist Best Art Direction, Article — 2003
• Applied Arts, Best Designed Article in a Magazine &
Best Magazine Cover — 2003
DURHAM COLLEGE OF APPLIED ARTS & TECHNOLOGY
Applied Arts — Graphic Design
EMILY CARR UNIVERSITY OF ART & DESIGN
Typography Design, Copyright Law, Fashion Illustration
BRITISH COLUMBIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
Typography Design for Production
fitness + health (cycling + boxing)
arts (painting + photography)
scotch & gin connoiseur